Back to feature list...
Standards and platform support
On this page:
- 100% managed .NET code with no external dependencies
- .NET 5.0
- .NET Framework on Windows
- .NET Core
- .NET Standard
- Mono on Linux
- Universal Windows Platform
- Legacy platform support
- .NET Compact Framework
- Internet RFC specifications
- TLS/SSL versions
- FIPS 140-2 mode
- Directory listing formats
- Proxy servers
- Cryptographic algorithms
- Certificate and private key formats
- Scripting platforms
- Other technologies
- Rebex FTP/SSL is written in 100% managed C# code.
- No external dependencies. It only needs .NET.
- No third-party or open source code used.
- Fully CLS-compliant.
- Supports any .NET language (C#, VB.NET, C++/CLI, etc.)
- Platform-independent code. Same assemblies for both 32-bit and 64-bit applications.
- Windows 10 (x64, x86, ARM64)
- Windows Server 2019 (x64, x86)
- Windows Server 2016 (x64, x86)
- Windows Server 2012 R2 (x64, x86)
- Windows 8.1 (x64, x86)
- Windows 7 SP1 (x64, x86) (end-of-life platform)
- Linux (x64, ARM64, ARM32)
- macOS (x64)
Rebex FTP/SSL supports the following .NET Framework platforms:
- .NET Framework 4.8
- .NET Framework 4.7.x
- .NET Framework 4.6.x
- .NET Framework 4.5.x
- .NET Framework 4.0
- .NET Framework 3.5 SP1
- Both 32-bit and 64-bit versions (same DLLs)
Legacy binaries for .NET Framework 2.0/3.0 are available as well.
For details and a trial version download link, see Support for Legacy Platforms.
Supported IDE versions:
- Microsoft Visual Studio 2019
- Microsoft Visual Studio 2017
- Microsoft Visual Studio 2015
- Microsoft Visual Studio 2013
- Microsoft Visual Studio 2012
Supported Windows versions:
- Windows 10
- Windows Server 2019
- Windows Server 2016
- Windows 8.1
- Windows Server 2012 R2
- Windows Server 2012
- Windows Server 2008 R2 (end-of-life platform)
- Windows Server 2008 (end-of-life platform)
- Windows 7 (end-of-life platform)
Rebex FTP/SSL is also known to work on Windows 8, Windows Vista, Windows XP SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2, Windows Embedded Standard 2009 and Windows Embedded POSReady 2009. However, these platforms already reached end-of-life (most of them many years ago), which means we cannot guarantee support for Rebex FTP/SSL on these operating systems.
Rebex FTP/SSL supports .NET Core platform.
- .NET Core 3.1
- .NET Core 2.1
Supported operating systems:
Rebex FTP/SSL supports .NET Standard 2.1 on .NET Core 3.1, Mono 6.10 (or higher), Xamarin.Android 10.1 (or higher) and Xamarin.iOS 13.10 (or higher). It also supports .NET Standard 2.0 on .NET Core 2.1. Support for .NET Standard 2.0 on Universal Windows Platform (build 16299 or higher) and Xamarin.Mac (version 6.0 or higher) is experimental.
- Visual Studio with Xamarin.iOS 13.10 or later
- iOS 10.2 or later
To target Xamarin.iOS platform, reference .NET Standard 2.1 binaries.
- Visual Studio with Xamarin.Android 10.1 or later
To target Xamarin.Android platform, reference .NET Standard 2.1 binaries.
Rebex FTP/SSL features experimental support for Xamarin.Mac 6.0 or later via .NET Standard 2.0.
Rebex FTP/SSL features experimental support for Universal Windows Platform (UWP/UAP) applications on Windows 10 via .NET Standard 2.0.
- Windows 10 (version 1709 or higher)
- Windows 10 IoT (version 1709 or higher)
In order to use Rebex FTP/SSL on these platforms, make sure to specify at least Windows 10 Fall Creators Update (10.0; Build 16299) in your Universal Windows project.
Rebex FTP/SSL can be used within an ASP.NET web page. However, you have to keep in mind specific features of the ASP.NET platform (it is stateless, multithreaded, it may be limited by MediumTrust security level...).
Legacy edition of Rebex FTP/SSL for the following platforms is available as a separate product:
- .NET Compact Framework 3.5/3.9
- .NET Framework 2.0/3.0
Legacy platforms are platforms that are no longer covered by our Standard Support, but have not yet reached End of Life. For details, see the following KB articles:
Rebex FTP/SSL supports .NET Compact Framework on Microsoft's legacy embedded, handheld and mobile platforms based on Windows CE.
- .NET Compact Framework 3.9
- .NET Compact Framework 3.5 (end-of-life)
Supported operating systems:
- Windows Embedded Compact 2013
Known to work on the following end-of-life platforms:
- Windows Embedded Compact 7
- Windows Embedded Handheld 6.5
- Windows Embedded CE 6.0
- Windows CE 5.0
- Windows Mobile 5.0, 6.0, 6.1, 6.5
Please note .NET Compact Framework is a legacy platform, which means that Rebex FTP/SSL for .NET CF is available as a separate product with different lifecycle and pricing.
Implemented (FTP and TLS) RFCs:
- RFC 959
- RFC 1123
- RFC 1579
- RFC 2228
- RFC 3659
- RFC 4217
- RFC 2246 (TLS 1.0)
- RFC 4346 (TLS 1.1)
- RFC 5246 (TLS 1.2)
- RFC 8446 (TLS 1.3)
- RFC 5746 (TLS Renegotiation Indication Extension)
Please note that some non-essential features might not be supported. Let us know if you need to add anything.
Supported TLS/SSL protocol versions:
- TLS 1.3 (not available on .NET Compact Framework)
- TLS 1.2
- TLS 1.1
- TLS 1.0
- SSL 3.0
Rebex FTP/SSL can operate in a FIPS 140-2 compliant mode. When enabled, only FIPS-approved
cryptographic modules from MS CryptoAPI are used. FIPS mode is activated automatically when Windows is running in FIPS mode.
To switch on the FIPS mode manually, set
Rebex FTP/SSL can parse directory listings using the following formats:
- Unix "
ls" (ProFTPd, Wu-FTPd, Microsoft FTP and many others)
- DOS (Microsoft FTP and others)
- DJ Bernstein's EPLF
- glFTPd ANSI-colored list
- VMS and MultiNet (both single and multiline)
- IBM 4690
- Tandem Guardian
- support for custom list parsers
- Various FTP proxies
- SOCKS4a (Socks4 with domain name resolving)
- HTTP proxies with CONNECT method support
- Tunneling through SSH servers
Learn how to use proxy servers in Rebex FTP/SSL.
- DSA (legacy)
- Diffie-Hellman key exchange
- Elliptic curve Diffie-Hellman key exchange (ECDH)
- Tripple DES
- DES (legacy)
- Blowfish (legacy)
- ArcFour (compatible with RC4, legacy)
- ArcTwo (compatible with RC2, legacy)
- SHA-2 (SHA-256, SHA-384, SHA-512)
- MD5 (legacy)
- MD4 (legacy)
- PKCS #12
- DER (binary or base64 encoded)
- CER (binary or base64 encoded)
External private key formats
- PKCS #8 keys
- OpenSSH/OpenSSL (SSLeay) keys
- PuTTY .ppk keys
Rebex FTP/SSL is designed primary for use in .NET framework applications. However, it can be used in several other scripting and hosting environments:
- Microsoft SQL Server SSIS packages
- Microsoft SQL Server SQL CLR stored procedures
- Microsoft PowerShell scripts
See how to use Rebex FTP/SSL in SSIS, SQL CLR and PowerShell environments.