Small, minimalist, single-user SFTP server for testing purposes, free for commercial and non-commercial use
It's free for commercial and non-commercial use.
The server is extremely simple to use. Just unpack the ZIP file, run the executable, and that's all. You can tweak the configuration later if needed.
- Download and unpack the ZIP package.
- Optional: edit RebexTinySftpServer.exe.config.
- Run RebexTinySftpServer.exe
- Press Start button to begin serving files via SFTP.
- Simple SFTP server.
- Free to use, even for commercial purposes.
- Detailed activity log.
- Single user with read/write access.
- Runs on any Windows OS with .NET 4.0.
- RSA and DSA key support.
- No setup needed. Just unpack the ZIP file and run.
When to use Rebex Tiny SFTP Server
Local SFTP client application development and testing
Need to test your app now? Not willing to wait days or weeks for your tech-support department to install a testing SFTP server?
Don't want to spend hour learning how to configure a full-features SFTP server yourself?
Get Tiny SFTP server and start developing in minutes.
Quick & dirty file sharing
Unpack the exe, copy files to the data folder, run it. No installation. Now you can securely connect from another computer to download data.
When NOT to use Rebex Tiny SFTP Server
Not for use with real passwords
This server stores password in clear-text configuration file. The password is even displayed on the server main form. If your scenario requires a higher degree of security and you have enough time to go through choosing, obtaining, learning, configuring and securing a full-featured SFTP server, go for it.
Just need to test that your SFTP client works
If you only need to test that your client application can connect to an SFTP server and download files you don't need to run any server.
Just connect to our public SFTP server running at test.rebex.net. Use
demoas username and
Tiny Server too limited? Try Buru SFTP Server!
- Unlimited users
- Supports wide range of SSH ciphers
- No installation required - just unpack and run
- Can run as a Windows service
- Can run as a service
- Web administration
- Custom SSH commands
- Same core as Tiny SFTP server
- Download Buru SFTP Server from Rebex.NET
Tiny SFTP Server runs on:
- Windows 10, 8.1, 8, 7
- Windows Server 2019, 2016, or 2012.
- Windows XP, Vista, Server 2003 or 2008. You might have to install .NET 4.0 first when using the server on these legacy systems.
The server can be configured using
This configuration file must be placed in the same folder as the exe file.
||TCP port on which the server runs. Default is 22.|
||Login name of the SFTP user.|
||Password of the SFTP user.|
||Path to folder with user public keys used for private/public key authentication. Raw or Base-64-encoded SSH2 key format supported. Optional. Leave blank to disable key authentication.|
||Root data folder. If the folder does not exist, the server creates it and puts some test data there.|
If set to
||Path to the server RSA private key file. PKCS #8, OpenSSH/OpenSSL SSLeay and PuTTY formats are supported. A new key file is generated if it does not exist.|
||Password for the server RSA private key file.|
||Path to the server DSA private key file. PKCS #8, OpenSSH/OpenSSL SSLeay and PuTTY formats are supported. A new key file is generated if it does not exist.|
||Password for the server DSA private key file.|
||If set to
Modifying the source code
- Changed default keep-alive period for idle SFTP sessions to 3 minutes.
- Changed default file share mode to fix compatibility with WinFsp/SSHFS.
- Fixed race condition when closing outstanding file handles.
- Improved Chacha20/Poly1305 performance.
- Increased SFTP receive buffer size; workarounds for legacy clients.
- Enhanced reporting of startup errors, updated application icon.
- Fixed handling of unknown SSH packets, workaround for very old OpenSSH 4.x/5.x clients.
- Support for OpenSSH's AES/GCM, Chacha20/Poly1305 and EtM MAC ciphers.
- Fixed reporting of writable permissions for read-only files.
- Fixed renegotiation issue.
- Application signed.
- Minor UI adjustments.
- Fixing public key loading.
- Support for ECDH ciphers.
- Fixed a bug that could cause timeout and session failure during SSH session renegotiation.
- Proper maximum packet size used when sending channel data (instead of a hardcoded value).
- Support for public/private key client authentication.
- Added 'autoStart' option.
- First version.