Back to feature list...
Standards and platform support
On this page:
- 100% managed .NET code with no external dependencies
- Protocols and RFC specifications
- Compatible with third-party implementations
- .NET 5.0
- .NET Framework on Windows
- .NET Core
- .NET Standard
- Mono on Linux
- Universal Windows Platform
- Legacy platform support
- .NET Compact Framework
- XCOPY deployment
- Rebex WebSocket is written in 100% managed C# code.
- No external dependencies. It only needs .NET.
- No third-party or open source code used.
- Fully CLS-compliant.
- Supports any .NET language (C#, VB.NET, C++/CLI, etc.)
- Platform-independent code. Same assemblies for both 32-bit and 64-bit applications.
Rebex WebSocket implements the WebSocket protocol as specified by RFC 6455, and other required protocols and formats. The core functionality consists of the following:
Rebex WebSocket is compatible with third-party WebSocket implementations and passes the extensive Autobahn Testsuite.
- Windows 10 (x64, x86, ARM64)
- Windows Server 2019 (x64, x86)
- Windows Server 2016 (x64, x86)
- Windows Server 2012 R2 (x64, x86)
- Windows 8.1 (x64, x86)
- Windows 7 SP1 (x64, x86) (end-of-life platform)
- Linux (x64, ARM64, ARM32)
- macOS (x64)
Rebex WebSocket supports the following .NET Framework platforms:
- .NET Framework 4.8
- .NET Framework 4.7.x
- .NET Framework 4.6.x
- .NET Framework 4.5.x
- .NET Framework 4.0
- .NET Framework 3.5 SP1
- Both 32-bit and 64-bit versions (same DLLs)
Legacy binaries for .NET Framework 2.0/3.0 are available as well.
For details and a trial version download link, see Support for Legacy Platforms.
Supported IDE versions:
- Microsoft Visual Studio 2019
- Microsoft Visual Studio 2017
- Microsoft Visual Studio 2015
- Microsoft Visual Studio 2013
- Microsoft Visual Studio 2012
Supported Windows versions:
- Windows 10
- Windows Server 2019
- Windows Server 2016
- Windows 8.1
- Windows Server 2012 R2
- Windows Server 2012
- Windows Server 2008 R2 (end-of-life platform)
- Windows Server 2008 (end-of-life platform)
- Windows 7 (end-of-life platform)
Rebex WebSocket is also known to work on Windows 8, Windows Vista, Windows XP SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2, Windows Embedded Standard 2009 and Windows Embedded POSReady 2009. However, these platforms already reached end-of-life (most of them many years ago), which means we cannot guarantee support for Rebex WebSocket on these operating systems.
Rebex WebSocket supports .NET Core platform.
- .NET Core 3.1
- .NET Core 3.0 (end-of-life platform)
- .NET Core 2.2 (end-of-life platform)
- .NET Core 2.1
- .NET Core 2.0 (end-of-life platform)
Supported operating systems:
Rebex WebSocket supports .NET Standard 2.1 on .NET Core 3.1 (or higher). It also supports .NET Standard 2.0 on .NET Core 2.0 (or higher), Mono 5.14 (or higher), Xamarin.Android 9.1 (or higher) and Xamarin.iOS 12.3 (or higher). Support for .NET Standard 2.0 on Universal Windows Platform (build 16299 or higher) and Xamarin.Mac (version 5.0 or higher) is experimental.
- Visual Studio with Xamarin.iOS 12.3 or later
- iOS 10.2 or later
To target Xamarin.iOS platform, reference .NET Standard 2.0 binaries.
- Visual Studio with Xamarin.Android 9.1 or later
To target Xamarin.Android platform, reference .NET Standard 2.0 binaries.
Rebex WebSocket features experimental support for Xamarin.Mac 5.0 or later via .NET Standard 2.0.
Rebex WebSocket features experimental support for Universal Windows Platform (UWP/UAP) applications on Windows 10 via .NET Standard 2.0.
- Windows 10 (version 1709 or higher)
- Windows 10 IoT (version 1709 or higher)
In order to use Rebex WebSocket on these platforms, make sure to specify at least Windows 10 Fall Creators Update (10.0; Build 16299) in your Universal Windows project.
Legacy edition of Rebex WebSocket for the following platforms is available as a separate product:
- .NET Compact Framework 3.5/3.9
- .NET Framework 2.0/3.0
Legacy platforms are platforms that are no longer covered by our Standard Support, but have not yet reached End of Life. For details, see the following KB articles:
Rebex WebSocket supports .NET Compact Framework on Microsoft's legacy embedded, handheld and mobile platforms based on Windows CE.
- .NET Compact Framework 3.9
- .NET Compact Framework 3.5
Supported operating systems:
- Windows Embedded Compact 2013
- Windows Embedded Compact 7
Known to work on the following end-of-life platforms:
- Windows Embedded Handheld 6.5
- Windows Embedded CE 6.0
- Windows CE 5.0
- Windows Mobile 5.0, 6.0, 6.1, 6.5
Please note .NET Compact Framework is a legacy platform, which means that Rebex WebSocket for .NET CF is available as a separate product with different lifecycle and pricing.
When distributing an application using Rebex WebSocket library, simply copy the following DLL files (.NET assemblies) with your application:
There is no need to install, configure or distribute anything else to make them work.