Back to feature list...
Standards and platform support
On this page:
- 100% managed .NET code with no external dependencies
- .NET 7.0/6.0/5.0
- .NET Framework on Windows
- .NET Core
- .NET Standard
- Mono on Linux
- Legacy platform support
- .NET Compact Framework
- Internet RFC specifications
- SFTP version 3 and 4
- FIPS 140-2 mode
- Proxy servers
- Cryptographic algorithms
- Private key formats
- Scripting platforms
- Other technologies
- Rebex SFTP is written in 100% managed C# code.
- No external dependencies. It only needs .NET.
- No third-party or open source code used.
- Fully CLS-compliant.
- Supports any .NET language (C#, VB.NET, C++/CLI, etc.)
- Platform-independent code. Same assemblies for both 32-bit and 64-bit applications and x86/x64, ARM32/ARM64 architectures.
- Windows 11 (x64, ARM64)
- Windows 10 (x64, x86, ARM64)
- Windows Server 2022 (x64)
- Windows Server 2019 (x64)
- Windows Server 2016 (x64)
- Windows Server 2012 R2 (x64, x86)
- Windows 8.1 (x64, x86)
- Windows 7 SP1 (x64, x86) (end-of-life platform)
- Linux (x64, ARM64, ARM32)
- macOS (x64, ARM64)
- Android (x64, ARM64, ARM32)
- iOS/tvOS (x64, ARM64, ARM32)
Rebex SFTP supports the following .NET Framework platforms:
- .NET Framework 4.8.x
- .NET Framework 4.7.x
- .NET Framework 4.6.x
- .NET Framework 4.5.x
- .NET Framework 4.0
- .NET Framework 3.5 SP1
- Both 32-bit and 64-bit versions (same DLLs)
Legacy binaries for .NET Framework 2.0/3.0 are available as well.
For details and a trial version download link, see Support for Legacy Platforms.
Supported IDE versions:
- Microsoft Visual Studio 2022
- Microsoft Visual Studio 2019
- Microsoft Visual Studio 2017
- Microsoft Visual Studio 2015
- Microsoft Visual Studio 2013
- Microsoft Visual Studio 2012
Supported Windows versions:
- Windows 11
- Windows 10
- Windows Server 2022
- Windows Server 2019
- Windows Server 2016
- Windows 8.1
- Windows Server 2012 R2
- Windows Server 2012
- Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 (end-of-life platform)
- Windows Server 2008 (end-of-life platform)
- Windows 7 SP1 (end-of-life platform)
Rebex SFTP is also known to work on Windows 8, Windows Vista SP1, Windows XP SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2, Windows Embedded Standard 2009 and Windows Embedded POSReady 2009. However, these platforms already reached end-of-life (most of them many years ago), which means we cannot guarantee support for Rebex SFTP on these operating systems.
Rebex SFTP supports .NET Core platform.
- .NET Core 3.1
- .NET Core 2.1 (end-of-life platform)
Supported operating systems:
Rebex SFTP supports .NET Standard 2.1 on .NET 7.0/6.0/5.0, .NET Core 3.1, Mono 6.10 (or higher), Xamarin.Android 10.1 (or higher) and Xamarin.iOS 13.10 (or higher). It also supports .NET Standard 2.0 on .NET Core 2.1.
- Visual Studio with Xamarin.iOS 13.10 or later
- iOS 10.2 or later
To target Xamarin.iOS platform, reference .NET Standard 2.1 binaries.
- Visual Studio with Xamarin.Android 10.1 or later
To target Xamarin.Android platform, reference .NET Standard 2.1 binaries.
Rebex SFTP can be used within an ASP.NET web page. However, you have to keep in mind specific features of the ASP.NET platform (it is stateless, multithreaded, it may be limited by MediumTrust security level...).
Legacy edition of Rebex SFTP for the following platforms is available as a separate product:
- .NET Compact Framework 3.5/3.9
- .NET Framework 2.0/3.0
Legacy platforms are platforms that are no longer covered by our Standard Support, but have not yet reached End of Life. For details, see the following KB articles:
Rebex SFTP supports .NET Compact Framework on Microsoft's legacy embedded, handheld and mobile platforms based on Windows CE.
- .NET Compact Framework 3.9
- .NET Compact Framework 3.5 (end-of-life)
Supported operating systems:
- Windows Embedded Compact 2013
Known to work on the following end-of-life operating systems:
- Windows Embedded Compact 7
- Windows Embedded Handheld 6.5
- Windows Embedded CE 6.0
- Windows CE 5.0
- Windows Mobile 5.0, 6.0, 6.1, 6.5
Please note .NET Compact Framework is a legacy platform, which means that Rebex SFTP for .NET CF is available as a separate product with different lifecycle and pricing.
Due to popular demand, we will continue to provide and maintain binaries for .NET Compact Framework 3.5 until 2023-10-10, as long as your legacy support contract remains active. However, support for these binaries is no longer included in the Rebex Support Contract.
Rebex SFTP supports SSH2 protocol and implements the following specifications:
SSH1 is not supported - it is no longer considered secure and has been considered deprecated more than 15 years ago.
Please note that some non-essential features might not be supported. Let us know if you need to add anything.
Supported SFTP protocol versions:
Rebex SFTP can operate in a FIPS 140-2 compliant mode. When enabled, only FIPS-approved
cryptographic modules from MS CryptoAPI are used. FIPS mode is activated automatically when Windows is running in FIPS mode.
To switch on the FIPS mode manually, set
- SOCKS4a (Socks4 with domain name resolving)
- HTTP proxies with CONNECT method support
- Tunneling through SSH servers
Learn how to use proxy servers in Rebex SFTP.
- DSA (legacy)
- Diffie-Hellman key exchange
- Elliptic curve Diffie-Hellman key exchange (ECDH)
- Tripple DES
- DES (legacy)
- Blowfish (legacy)
- ArcFour (compatible with RC4, legacy)
- ArcTwo (compatible with RC2, legacy)
- SHA-2 (SHA-256, SHA-384, SHA-512)
- MD5 (legacy)
- MD4 (legacy)
- PKCS #8 keys
- PuTTY .ppk keys
- OpenSSH/OpenSSL (SSLeay) keys
- Keys on smart cards
- Certificate-based keys
Learn more about private keys in Rebex SFTP.
Rebex SFTP is designed primary for use in .NET framework applications. However, it can be used in several other scripting and hosting environments:
- Microsoft SQL Server SSIS packages
- Microsoft SQL Server SQL CLR stored procedures
- Microsoft PowerShell scripts
See how to use Rebex SFTP in SSIS, SQL CLR and PowerShell environments.
- IPv4 and IPv6 support
- Kerberos v5 and NTLM (see more about GSSAPI authentication)